Posted in Depression
A number of misconceptions and myths shroud the use of antidepressants. While most people do not mind taking pain pills and antidepressants, many consider them as dangerous and addictive. Despite the effectiveness of antidepressants, people tend to have numerous fears and doubts about the ramifications.
Antidepressants are psychiatric medication for patients suffering from depression— that manifests in loss of interest in the regular activities, sleep issues, feeling of constant grief, etc.
These medications help a person to uplift his or her mood by repairing the imbalances of neurotransmitters in the brain. Being part of a multipronged strategy used for treating depression, these medicines play a crucial role in reversing the depressive symptoms. Besides helping to manage the symptoms of depression, antidepressants also help in treating other psychiatric conditions like anxiety disorders, dysthymia, fibromyalgia, binge eating disorder, etc.
Considering the efficacy of antidepressants in significantly diminishing the chances of a relapse, it is essential to analyze the pros and cons of such medications before buying any biased judgement. Some of the erroneous beliefs related to antidepressants are deciphered below in a logically manner:
- Cannot solve the distress of a mind: A multitude of factors, ranging from genetics to environmental issues can cause depression in an individual. Besides being overwhelmingly emotional, the symptoms of depression are very much physical in nature. They exacerbate somatic symptoms. Except the depressive symptoms that are situational in nature, antidepressants help in alleviating the psychological symptoms that are partially biological in nature by modifying the neurotransmitters of the brain.
- Do not fix the root problem: It is true that antidepressants react less to situational depression, as they are most effective in treating depression rising due to biological reasons. In situational depression cases, antidepressants are only beneficial in alleviating the symptoms of depression. Therefore, it is essential to combine both medication and therapy to address the root causes of depression. Moreover, one should know the difference between biochemical and situational depression.
- Addictive in nature: Unlike anxiolytic and painkillers, antidepressants are not addictive in nature. Unlike the euphoric effects of addictive drugs, antidepressants merely uplift mood and energy. However, one may witness withdrawal symptoms, such as headaches, dizziness, nausea, etc., due to fact that body becomes accustomed to antidepressants due to persistent use. It is advisable not to stop an ongoing course abruptly; one should rather consult his or her physician before the cessation of antidepressants.
- No happy pills or magic pills: Since they are tailored to modulate or alter the neurotransmitters in the brain, the consumption of antidepressants take several weeks to showcase mood-improving effects. Unlike the potent drugs like amphetamines, opioids, etc., antidepressants barely has any addictive characteristics to induce a euphoric state.
- Possess terrible side effects: Just like any other medications, antidepressants also run the risk of side effects. A spectrum of side effects ranging from insomnia to sexual dysfunction mentioned on the medicine packet can be intimidating. However, the newer versions of antidepressants cause relatively milder side effects. Moreover, they tend to taper off with time. Like many medicines, some of the common side effects witnessed include upset stomach, headaches, weight gain, sedation, etc.
- Changes one’s personality: Most people are anxious about taking psychotropic medication. Nonetheless, taking the right antidepressant can gradually help a depressed person regain his or her normal mood.
Overcome depression via professional treatment
Mental illnesses, such as depression, anxiety, bipolar disorder, etc., affect millions of people every year. In fact, the United States alone accounts for nearly 18.5 percent of people who experience mental illnesses in a given year. Since several factors are responsible for causing depressive symptoms, it is important to prevent, identify and treat the health problem before it becomes worse due to neglect and delay.
Depression is a crippling disease that can wreck a person’s daily life. To avoid the risk of developing it into a chronic disease, it is important to take the essential steps.
If you or your loved one is showing the symptoms of depression, connect with the Depression Treatment Centers ofCalifornia to know about the best anxiety or depression treatment centers in California. You can chatonline or call at our 24/7 helpline number 855-678-0400 to get in touch with our trained professionals.