Posted in Depression, Depression Treatment, depressive disorders
The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) recently provided approval to a novel drug brexanolone for the treatment of post-partum depression (PPD). It has come as a ray of hope for millions of women of childbearing age and their doctors across the globe. However, the drug is fairly expensive to use and necessitates hospitalization. Therefore, it might not be suitable for all women.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), at least 1 in 9 women struggle with post-partum depression in America. A debilitating disorder, it prevents a new mother from taking care of her baby and forming a strong bond with it. It might affect the mother-baby relationship in the long-run and can also have adverse effects on the health of both the individuals, separately.
Some of the ways in which post-partum depression can be treated apart from medicines include the following:
- Sleeping: Recent research has established that poor sleep quality increases the susceptibility of depression and anxiety in post-partum women. Therefore, it is imperative that post-partum women sleep uninterrupted for a few hours every night and even during the day. For this, they must ask for the help of their spouse or friends so that during that period the baby can be taken care of by the others.
- Healthy eating: It is also important that the diet of a new mother is fortified with essential minerals and nutrients as a deficiency of these can have an adverse effect on an individual’s mood. Therefore, one must focus on eating low carb, low gluten, high protein, and high fiber diet with good fats. One must also drink a lot of water to keep themselves adequately hydrated. If required, one should take the necessary supplementation of omega-3, vitamin D, and other essential nutrients after talking to their doctors.
- Physical activity: Previous research has established the importance of regular exercise in reducing depressive symptoms during the post-partum phase. One must incorporate some physical activity lasting between 30 minutes to an hour on an everyday basis into their daily routine. Brisk walking, Pilates, Zumba, aerobics, etc., can greatly help in uplifting the mood and keeping the symptoms of depression at bay.
- Spending time on hobbies: Hobbies are an excellent way of venting. Therefore, it is important to take some time out for a hobby so that one remains distracted for a while and feels invigorated afterwards. Reading, singing, painting, landscaping, gardening, crocheting, knitting, taking care of animals, or anything else that interests an individual can be immensely soothing to the troubled mind.
- Talking/therapy: Opening up to a doctor can also be therapeutic. If that is not feasible, then joining an online support group and engaging in discussions with like-minded people can also be cathartic. Having a few close friends around and talking to them can do calm a person.
- Alternative mental health treatments: Taking therapies like eye movement desensitization and reprocessing (EMDR), practicing mindfulness, meditation, yoga, and Tai-chi can also be beneficial in combatting depressive symptoms.
Post-partum depression is treatable
Motherhood is a blessing but sometimes, it becomes challenging to take care of the baby due to the development of PPD. With love and care of family and friends, self-care, and support groups, PPD symptoms can be managed well. However, if there is no respite then one must seek the help of a skilled professional so that things do not take a downward spiral.
If you or someone you love is struggling with depression and is exhibiting depressive symptoms, then Depression Treatment Centers of California can help. We offer evidence-based depression treatment programs comprising an amalgamation of medicines, psychotherapies, and alternative therapies. For more information, call our 24/7 depression treatment hotline 855-678-0400. You can also chat online with a member of our admissions team to know more about our state-of-the-art depression residential treatment centers. Our representatives can help you find the best depression treatment program matching your requirements to smoothen your journey to recovery.